So, I’ve started to pack for our two month trip and move to Thailand. I assume that between now and the time we leave next week, I will take things out, add them in, take the same things I added in back out.. you get the picture. Needless to say, it’s pretty hard to pack for 2 months on the road and then a year in another country all in one backpack. The fact that it’s going to be cold for half the trip and hot for the other half doesn’t really help either.
For the past few months I’ve been doing a lot of research about packing lists. Things to bring, things not to bring, things you thought you would need but never did… you get the picture. But, a lot of the lists were telling me that I should bring those pants that zip off into shorts with me. That’s pretty hard core, and I just don’t think I’m at that level. I just cant really see myself wearing pants that zip into shorts.
Anyway, pretty much what I’ve concluded so far from my packing experience is this: I will never be looking very cute on this trip. Oh, and that I will probably need to buy a new wardrobe once we get to Thailand. Good thing it’s cheap there.
Ok, so here’s my list so far (strictly clothes, no shoes, underwear, etc.). I still need to eliminate a few things on the list below, so please someone help me and tell me what to get rid of! Remember when you’re going through this that I will be spending 4 days in the Amazon, 4 days climbing Machu Picchu, and then 17 days climbing Everest Base Camp (though I think we’ll be mailing a bag to them with our ski/winter stuff in it).
- 2 pairs of jeans (one regular, one jeggings)
- 2 tank tops that I typically wear for working out
- 2 tank tops with built in bras
- 2 pairs of workout leggings (one short, one long)
- 1 pair of regular leggings
- 3 pairs of workout shorts (2 mesh, one spandex)
- 2 button down shirts that I can throw over any of my t-shirts
- 2 cute tops (short sleeve) for walking around a city during the day or when I want to look a little nicer
- 3 long sleeve shirts
- 10 T-shirts (most of which I can wear for working out or for when we’re out and about in a city)
- 1 zip up sweatshirt
- 1 maxi dress
- 1 cotton skirt that goes with pretty much all of my tshirts
- 2 cardigans to throw over anything (black and grey)
- 1 light sweater for nighttime in S. america
- 2 tank tops to wear under anything
- 1 bathing suit (but I also want to get a one piece)
Ok, after reading through this it seems like a lot though somehow it all does fit into my semi-small backpack. But, I definitely will be eliminating some stuff, so any tips or thoughts are welcome!
I think the only thing missing is the zip off pants:)
I actually think the zip off pants might be a good investment. Honestly. So, for me, you’re underpacked 🙂 HA! But, it looks like you have 3 sets of tank tops. Can one of them be eliminated? It also looks like you have a lot of outerwear (1 light sweater, 1 zip up sweatshirt, 2 button down shirts). Do you need all 4? I’d also switch out the regular jeans for an add’l pair of skinny/jeggings. Again, I would totally pack more than what you have here, but I looked at what you had a lot of.
Thanks, Tracy! I’ll let you know if I change my mind about the zip off pants but I wouldn’t count on it! I packed all of the outerwear bc it’s going to be cold in S.America and wanted to make sure I had enough to throw over all my tshirts, but you’re right.. Could probably eliminate a couple of those. I might need you to come over when we’re in Chi to go through my final backpack with me 🙂